ShareThis

13

A snapshot from hell

Kathipara Junction
1 June, 2006
6:45 PM

Like many other days the traffic has come to a stand still and the faint aroma of wet earth reaches me …I cannot help but give up myself to it. I open the windows of the bus wider and stare at the endless stream of cars, auto’s, buses… all jammed up till where my vision reaches. Sigh. I will be late again.
But the rain which is just starting will be some solace against the scorching heat of the last few days…And then somehow my eyes come to rest on a young couple by the side of the road. They appear to be deep in conversation. The Guy is carrying a laptop and the woman also appears to be an IT professional…They are of no significance and my eyes continue to wander only to be suddenly pulled back to them because of a rapid movement. ..
The guy strikes the woman twice across her face…and am shocked beyond words…I cannot see the woman’s face clearly…but there are a thousand things running hay wire in my head…and then she leaves the guy standing there and starts walking away. My heart went out to her for that one moment…is she angry, upset, hurt? Will she recover from the humiliation? Even as I think all this she turns back to find the man arrogantly standing, unrepentant at the same place where she left him. The rain is now beating down hard.All other sounds cease to exist for me .A silence pregnant with suspense.What will she do? Will she walk away or return to him?Such thoughts are creating a havoc in my head...Alas...in spite of all that happened in the last few seconds I soon see her walk back to him in defeat…I wonder why…?
Maybe she is in love. Maybe married to this man who appears to be no else than a monster to me…maybe there are 1000 reasons why she should go back to him but does this one incident of blatant physical violence right in the center of the street not suffice for her to override all the other reasons and leave the man for good? By this time the bus has started moving and even though I continue to crane my neck to watch the proceedings, I soon loose sight of them and all I am left with is a sharp and unpleasant memory.











Physical and psychological violence against women is still alarmingly prevalent and can be found in every alcove of working/domestic situation.

From “If you can’t get the girl to fall in love with you, stalk and intimidate her till she has no other choice” tactics to the harassment/abuse at work place and home…women still have a long way to go when they can co exist with men
without the inherent fear of being victimized in some way or the other…

An empathetic
Me

13 comments:

Ekam Sathyam said...

I abhor, detest any form of violence and find the behaviour very repugnant. From what you describe they seem educated, and it is even more pathetic that they had to resort to such uncivilized behaviour. My heart goes out to the woman as well..

I think the last paragraph is a little too harsh on men.

Caffeinism said...

@ ekam-sathyam-huh!! Hrash!! It is just plain reality and I have not said anything NEW here!!..

Debaditya said...

Sad , bitter but true at the same time..
I ll just rephrase something to support this post..
"men" still have a long way to go when they can co exist with women
without being feared of victimizing in some way or the other and be happy.
Amen..

Debaditya said...

anyway where is this
Kathipara ...

Mukund said...

though i've seen a few such beatings happening in public, they were usually near the slums! so, i was quite shocked to read that this happened near kathipara! while the woman may have a 100 reasons for going back, none of them justify this kind fo conduct from that idiot....

Goutham said...

Surprised.. Looks like education by itself is futile in invoking social changes.. Wonder what is missing.

Little Miss Sunshine said...

Maybe they were playing out a dare or some sort of practical joke!! ;)
Wishful thinking! On the more serious front, the only reason I can think of walking back for that girl is to give him a hard punch and better still stomp on his laptop for that will definitely hurt any man for sure! 1000 reasons blaaaaaaaaah!

Caffeinism said...

@ deba-Nicley put..it took me some time to het it correctly..:-D.This is a place enroute to home from office.

@ mukund & g'man- So true...in this case education has madeno difference.

@ sunanda- Agree... 1000 reasons et all- crap!!

Neeti said...

Completely agree with you.
They will always see a woman as a woman first and then a person.

Arthi Ramaswamy said...

We are living in an era where we are looking women are looking for something called eqlity...for which there is a way to get it.. and again it takes a lot for the men"so called male gender" to come out of certiain facts which is not today's way of thinking but one which has been existing for centuries...Things have chaged for sure and is still changing.. its just taking its own time to show... I guess we have to give time the time

On this particular incident ... for watever DUMB( i see it that way ! ) reason she allowed him to do that to her and did get back to him for that matter(which is worse) it just shows her low selfesteem and nothing else...

Neeti said...

http://blanknoiseproject.blogspot.com/

Suresh Thiagarajan said...

Let see it from a neutral viewpoint. 1) He has physically tortured her (certainly his mistake. really shame on him)
2) She could have severely emotionally tortured him (probably she is his wife and slept with someone else ! who knows? We cant acquit her as well without knowing the two sides of the coin. Just because he is at blame, doesnt mean that she is a "mirabai".

I truly think its the worst thing to physically torture a woman. Thats a real bad thing that the person did, shame on him !
But about psychological/emotional torture?! I think there are equal number of cases of psychological toruturing by men as well as women. I think you are crossing the line of neutrality at that point in your blog.

Caffeinism said...

@ Suresh-Agree psychological/emotional torture can go both ways...but here I am talking from a woman’s point of view because I identify with it more and because in 99% of the cases it is the woman who is victimized and not the man.


Trust me I saw her...she was not "cheating" on him. But even if she did, he cannot go ahead and beat her for it! And NO where have I called her "meerabai"...

Sorry I have not crossed any line of neutrality. In a very very general and broad sense I think most will be able to relate to it...
and hello Suresh...its not a unheard thing...In this case the episode was in broad daylight(that was what shocked me)...I know some educated IT professional women married to double degree holders treated in the same way...only difference being it is behind closed doors...

Back to Top