ShareThis

Choki Dhani

Saturday evening saw a group of us derive down to place called choki dhani in pune.The minute I alighted from the car and walked into this place, I felt as if I was suddenly in completely different world. An era of thakurs and thakurains. A world of colors, art and beauty . . . A far cry from the moribund city life .The sounds, the music and the various art forms of Rajasthan lent a magical appeal to the whole evening, something which not many can resist. At least I was completely enchanted by the place.


The authentic cuisine (with the servers calling us sethji’s and sethaniji’s and the turban which I insisted on wearing during the meal) was a special treat. Served in a platter made of dried leaves with about 22 dishes, the variety was mind blowing and trust me I have never eaten food so rich in a very long time.(I know I know…lets just forget the weight factor shall we?) I can safely claim that butter was next best thing to hot jalabis. Yum Yum. …Who can blame me for the sudden pang of hunger as I even type this…?

From Bangle making to my hand at pottery (For a first timer I was good), the screaming Camel rides, watching ornate elephants take a stroll, the typical Rajasthani dance shows, the puppet show, Ban aur Dhanush ka khel (basically archery which I was quite pathetic at- because the arrow refused to take flight!!), swings which baby H and me completely enjoyed, bindini mehendi….I could go on and on…bottom line being I loved it all.

So if you ever visit Pune (I believe there is something similar in Jaipur also) you should make it a point to visit this place. The typical Rajasthani village replete with its rich tradition, mud & thatch dwellings, folk dances and music will leave you enthralled and full of life.

1 comments:

Mukund said...

looks like u had a great time! have made a note of this place. will check it out when i goto pune!

Back to Top