ShareThis

7

Memoirs of Geisha

Finally I got to lay my hands on this book and I must say that it had no disappointments in store for me.

It is a beautiful story filled with nuances, vivid metaphor and memorable characters. It is rendered with pathos and even though the story is rich with detail about the Japanese culture and the various facets and technical terms related to the life of a geisha, it still holds an element of transparency and straight from heart feel because the story is told by Sayuri. It is her story. A story where she takes you through her life and lives it all over again with you.

I have noticed that confessions always have a charm about them, a personal touch, as if the writer is talking to you about her/his innermost feelings…and hence make a compulsive read. Maybe that is why Bloggers who write about their personal experiences or even about the world in general with some part of them reflecting in their blogs, always have more readers than others…Of course there are exceptions everywhere and I might also be grossly wrong about this as I have no concrete statistics to substantiate. At least I like reading blogs which have a personal touch thrown in somewhere in the post.

This is a line I came across describing this book and found it fitting to end this post with it.

"A haunting tale of a hidden world that could hold an audience spellbound through many an evening in a lantern-lit teahouse."

Do read the book
Cheers

7 comments:

fullmoononearth said...

I liked the book as well. But was disappointed by the way the movie has portrayed the very well mannered Sayuri, since childhood.

Caffeinism said...

@ Fme- Have not seen the movie as yet...its not as good is it...

Raaga said...

I will read the book... have been so busy these past few days that its difficult to do anything.

After a lot of strong recommendations, I finished reading the Interpreter of Maladies. I found the stories abrupt. Well written, but short, even by the standards of short stories.

Expressions said...

I too will surely try to ead the book, as soon as i can get my hands on a copy

Neeti said...

i also loved this book.
and want to watch the movie. how do you think it is?
i like the rare point of view of the writter. cant imagine a guy managed to write something like that...

Caffeinism said...

@ Dusty- I heard the movie is bad!and kudos Arthur Golden to write something like this...

Murali said...

Try Wuthering Hieghts too.

Sayuri is a mock narrator. Words are well knit but you cant give too much credit to the author. There is too much planning and synchronization in the storyline.

AFAIK, human thoughts are not free flowing.

BTW, Nice words about the blog. If what i understood by it is right, next time around, add a pinch of lemon and tulsi leaves to it too.

Back to Top