ShareThis

6

For the love of reading

It has been so long since I have read a good book (hold it there, actually good or otherwise is secondary, I have just not been reading much fiction) that I had almost forgotten the pained watery eyes and slight headache, I usually have after a good, non-stop, intense read.(Totally love the feel)I have never been the kind who can read books over a period of time. If that happens, then it means I have lost interest in the book and will never actually finish it. The last book I tried reading (about two months back I think) was “The Alchemist” and never finished it. (No surprises there!)

“The Kite Runner” By Khaled Hosseini

This is the book I ended up reading and I completely second the opinion given by a fellow blogger here- Review.
It’s sheer coincidence that I happened to read this book in the wake of the yet another killing of an innocent man- Suryanarayana, at the hands of Taliban and like every other time it drives a chill through my spine and never fails to shock me.


Coming back to the story, it takes you through different phases of Afghanistan and how life has changed for the people of the country in the last half century or so. All this through the eyes of an individual who has his own personal demons from the past to deal with, makes it even better and I like the way the it ends on a hopeful note-

Quote
It was only a smile, nothing more. It didn’t make everything all right. It didn’t make anything all right. Only a smile. A tiny thing. A leaf in the woods, shaking in the wake of a startled bird’s flight. But I’ll take it. With open arms. Because when spring comes, it melts the snow one flake at a time, and maybe I just witnessed the first flake melting.

Unquote

A must read, if you have not read it already.

6 comments:

Raaga said...

"If that happens, then it means I have lost interest in the book and will never actually finish it."

I can identify with that. I have so many half read books that when I recently finished reading the Odessa File I was so thrilled!

Caffeinism said...

@ Raaga- Was it good?

Jaya said...

I think u shd finish 'The Alchemist'. Its one of Paulo Coehlo's better books... I tried reading a lot of him after that.. None matched up... Well, 'The Kite Runner' was a decent read.. If u like such books, try 'Vengeance' by George Jonas... It recently came as Spielberg's movie - 'Munich' too... Happy Reading!

Raaga said...

I quite liked the book... the pace, the detail... everything.

deepthi vinod said...

this was one book that brought tears to my eyes....especlly the one where they run to grab the kite in the end...where the boundary wall is formed in a realation....must read..the authir wrote that story like he was sitting beside us and telling a story rather than we reading few mere words in a book....

Caffeinism said...

@ wonderwhytoday- agree.

Back to Top