ShareThis

12

The Tam Bram Legacy -2

Filter Kaapi

Here lies the answer, to my obsession with “Kaapi” (Coffee).Confession-Most of my user names/pseudo names are various permutations & combinations of the word c-o-f-f-e-e!

Ever since I actually started taking note of things around me (may be as early as when I was 2 or 3 years old) the one thing that has remained constant, is the “Filter Kaapi”. I grew up to amma and appa having “Filter Kaapi”, prepared by my appa, who claims that there is knack of making “Kaapi”, and that only he excels at it (!!) and I know amma secretly agrees to it whole heartedly. (Maybe, just maybe, it is because this gives her a few extra minutes of sleep before her day starts at 4 AM- Yes all Brahmin household are up and about at that “Holy” (hmm…Unholy?) Hour.)

The “Filter Kappi” can be had ceremoniously at anytime, depending on the work/non-working hours of the family members involved. Many households (after morning quota) have “Kappi with Palagaram” at about 3 in the afternoon; others indulge in it during the highly inactive mid morning hours…anytime convenient actually. And mind you any coffee vendor won’t do, the "Kaapi podi" has to be procured from, just around the corner “Leo Coffee” store only! So much so, that I have seen many households forgo coffee for a whole day because “Kaapi Pudi” got over and “Leo Coffee” was closed for the day! Bru(which is the closest you can get to “Filter Kaapi”) and likes of it are considered poor cousins and can never act as substitutes even for a passing day! On such days “Chaaya” will be the preferred drink .Neither will any random utensil do, it has to be served in the customary “Davara and Tumbler” complete with the faint carving of the initials of the bride who brought it to the household, God alone knows how many generations back!

But I have always been in love with this “Filter Kaapi”. After having grown up around the aroma of the “Kaapi”, licking up like flames on to my starved senses, at the grand age of 13, I finally decided to create a racket and break all hell loose, until I was allowed to have my daily dose of “Morning milk”, flavored with a tinge of my appa’s famous “decoction”. This slight tinge increased substantially with the years, and now I have arrived at the point where my “Kaapi” (even the poor version served at office) is very dark and sans sugar at times. The only time in my life, when I had to go without “Kaapi” was during my stay at Bangalore last year. (Then I was forced to switch to Tea) Not surprisingly, that was the time I started Blogging and I think my strong withdrawal symptoms resulted in this blog! In my opinion “Filter Kaapi” is as much a part of the Tam Bram legacy as anything else and I will do my best to make sure it is passed on to all future generations intentionally or unintentionally with my whole hearted consent.

An Addict
Me

12 comments:

Goutham said...

Can't agree more.. very good observation.. hillarious.. :D

Expressions said...

That was really funny...though the fact remains that it os soooo true....Can't think of starting a day without Amma's filter coffee.....

Caffeinism said...

@ G'man & Expressions- Thankyou...(** smile **)

Caffeinism said...

@ deb- wht does that mean?

Expressions said...

@Caffeinism
Sarcasm.....Urs and my Amma give coffee in the morning and guess what our CM is also Amma....Hence the sarcasm....

Raaga said...

Nice read... my day starts with a strong brew too... and my friends come over just to have a cup of coffee... they make fun of the fact that I drink it out of a huge mug... say its half a litre of coffee with very little milk and almost no sugar... but at the end, they do keep coming back for more. :)

Caffeinism said...

@ Expressions-Thanksyou.
@ Raaga- half litre of coffee!! wow.Good Good.

thegaad said...

Nice post...though it may seem wierd, its been a little more than 10 years since i touched your *kaapi*...im a non-supporter of caffeine (carcinogenic && addictive)...lolz

Caffeinism said...

@ Gaad- Ahaa..a total health freak is it? A lill bit of caffeine will do u good;-)..am trying to keep the legacy alive..he he

Debaditya said...

:-(...i deleted...It's a absurd one..never again:-(

Debaditya said...

@expressions....i thought amma is brand of coffee...:-(...

Pradeep Soundararajan said...

nalla kaapi time ...

Back to Top